All Council staff reports and additional information on each item scheduled for Council or Committee review can be viewed at: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/council/packet/index.html
Also the Council meeting schedule may change from time to time. The current Council agenda can always be viewed at: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/council/resources/files/agenda/col/current_agenda.pdf .
The Council Session is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. with proclamation presentations.
- Proclamation recognizing the service of Joseph Beach, Director, Department of Finance, by Council President Floreen.
- Proclamation recognizing Rachel Robinson as one of the longest-serving Hebrew school teachers in the County, by Councilmember Leventhal.
- Proclamation recognizing the Robotics Team “Organized Kaos”, by Councilmember Rice.
Other Council Highlights
- Expedited Bill 24-16, Collective Bargaining-Impasse Procedures-Amendments.
- The Council will introduce Expedited Bill 24-16. A public hearing is scheduled for July 12 at 7:30 p.m. Council President Floreen is the lead sponsor of the bill. Councilmember Rice is a cosponsor.
The bill would make changes to the County’s collective bargaining law to create a transparent process and promote a more equitable approach to labor negotiations. The staff report can be viewed at: Expedited Bill 24-16
Bill 24-16 would:
- open parts of the collective bargaining process to the public;
- extend time for negotiations;
- standardize the list of employer rights across all of the County’s collective bargaining agreements; require the Executive to appoint, subject to Council confirmation, a labor relations administrator who is experienced in conducting adjudicatory hearings;
- separate the role of a mediator and an arbitrator in resolving an impasse in collective bargaining; create a three-person arbitration panel headed by a retired judge; and
- strengthen the language requiring the arbitration panel to first consider the affordability of an agreement before any other factor.